- Intellectual Property Law
- Business & Commercial Law
With nearly two decades of experience, Paul S. Beik focuses his practice on intellectual property litigation and complex civil litigation, including trademark, copyright, patent, trade secret, breach of contract, fraud, unfair competition, covenant not to compete, and domain name disputes, as well as other statutory and common law claims. Paul S. Beik has lead trial experience in both jury trials and bench trials along with significant experience in every phase of litigation. Mr. Beik represents clients in state, federal and appellate courts of Texas and other jurisdictions across the United States. Mr. Beik aggressively advocates for his clients and was recognized as a top copyright infringement attorney in the United States. Mr. Beik was also recognized by Texas Monthly magazine as a "Rising Star" in their Super Lawyers edition, an honor bestowed upon the top 2.5% of up and coming Texas lawyers, nine years in a row.
• Lead Trial Counsel for a trademark infringement jury trial; the jury returned a verdict for Mr. Beik's client
• Lead Trial Counsel for breach of contract and fraud jury trial; the jury returned a verdict for Mr. Beik's client and the Court awarded attorneys' fees
• Lead Trial Counsel for civil litigation bench trial; the Court entered a $1.2 million judgment for Mr. Beik's client
• Lead Trial Counsel for film studio for BitTorrent copyright infringement enforcement campaign throughout the Southern, Northern, Western, and Eastern Districts of Texas
• Lead counsel for a fitness studio in a trademark infringement action against a competitor
• Lead counsel for a restaurant chain in a trademark infringement action in the Northern District of Illinois
• Defendant (Lead counsel) a massage therapy studio which was sued for trademark infringement; the Court ruled for Mr. Beik's client by denying Plaintiff's motion for preliminary injunction
• Lead counsel for construction company which was sued for trademark infringement in the Southern District of Texas; the Court granted Mr. Beik's motion to dismiss for lack of personal jurisdiction
• Lead counsel for photographer in copyright infringement action
• Defended a Fortune 500 telecommunications company against patent infringement allegations in the Eastern District of Texas.
• Represented a world-wide nutritional supplement manufacturer and asserted trademark rights in the Southern District of Texas. The federal district court granted Mr. Beik's client and injunction, statutory damages and attorneys' fees.
• Asserted a post-tension concrete construction company's patent rights and, after a year of litigation, obtain a favorable settlement and agreed injunction.
• Asserted the rights of a publisher in its copyright and obtained a significant settlement and agreed injunction.
• Asserted the patent rights of the manufacturer of the curved shower rod, in multiple courts across the country.
• Defended an oil and gas company against allegations of breach of contract and fraud.
• Successfully defended allegations of trademark infringement and after a year of litigation, the plaintiff settled the case whereby the client was permitted to continue use of the trademark.
• Defended allegations of copyright infringement and obtained a favorable settlement for his client against an alliance of software companies.
• Negotiated and drafted a $24 million patent license agreement covering multiple patents and patent applications in an alternative energy field.
• Asserted the rights of a transportation company in a breach of contract action in Houston, Harris County, Texas.
Defended a former employee of allegations of theft of trade secrets, fraud, breach of contract and other causes of action in Houston, Texas.
• Lead counsel for manufacturer of rig equipment and systems in oil and gas industry in copyright infringement, theft of trade secrets and breach of contract action in federal court; Court entered a judgment and permanent injunction that prohibits use of copyrighted materials and trade secrets (S.D. Tex. 2011).
• Lead counsel for plaintiff in a business disparagement and defamation action; after multiple witnesses, the court granted a temporary injunction against the defendants (Harris County, Texas 2011).
• Lead counsel for heating, air conditioning, ventilating distributor in federal trademark infringement, trademark dilution and unfair competition case. The defendant stopped using the trademark. (S.D. Tex. 2011).
• Lead counsel for manufacturer of commercial floor mats in copyright and online piracy action from theft of website and promotional materials; Court entered a judgment, permanent injunction, including statutory damages and attorneys' fees (S.D. Tex. 2010).
• Lead counsel for plaintiff in breach of contract matter; recovered a $330,000.00 settlement for the plaintiff.
• Lead counsel for employee in premises liability matter against employer; recovered a $340,000.00 settlement for the plaintiff.
• Lead counsel for defendant in copyright infringement and online piracy action in the Southern District of Texas. (S.D. Tex. 2011).
• Lead counsel for residential services company in defense of allegations of trademark infringement, trademark dilution and unfair competition. After removal of case to federal court, the plaintiff dismissed the lawsuit and consented defendant's use of the alleged generic and merely descriptive trademark.
• Trademark trial counsel for defendant: following cross-examination of multiple witnesses defeated a preliminary injunction asserting "secondary meaning" and a personal name as trademark (S.D. Tex. 2011).
• Lead counsel for cosmetics and beauty supply manufacturer in Trademark Opposition proceeding before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board; barred registration of federal trademark application for client's trademark (TTAB 2011).
• Trial counsel for defendant in patent infringement action in the Eastern District of Texas (E.D. Tex. 2010).
• Lead counsel for Internet start-up in defense of trademark infringement and cybersquatting from the use of domain names.
• Lead counsel for defendant against claims of copyright infringement and counterfeiting; secured a favorable settlement for defendant. (S.D. Tex. 2010).
• Lead counsel for defendant in copyright and online piracy action in Southern District of Texas (S.D. Tex. 2010).
• Trademark counsel for manufacturer and distributor against alleged counterfeiting and trademark infringement penalties and fines from the U.S. Customs and Border Patrol.
• Lead counsel for plaintiff in breach of contract action (Harris County, Texas 2010).
Mr. Beik also assists clients in protecting their brand through trademarks, the distinctive words, image and product appearance of their goods and/or services, whether in the United States or, by working with law firm around the world to secure trademark rights in foreign countries. Mr. Beik helps individuals and companies grow by obtaining and maintaining trademark rights and enforcing those rights against others.
Mr. Beik assists clients with protecting their creative works by securing and defending their copyrights. Mr. Beik counsels clients on timely securing and enforcing the broadest rights in their copyrightable works and assists clients on acquiring or transferring those rights.
In addition, Mr. Beik provides counsel to corporate clients regarding the protection of other confidential and proprietary information, including creation of corporate safeguards, non disclosure agreements, and non compete agreements, as well as leading actions to enforce those safeguards.
- University of Houston Law Center, Houston, Texas
- McNeese State University
- Honors: summa cum laude
- Honors: Southland Conference Student Athlete of the Year
- Honors: Wall Street Journal Award
- Honors: Men’s Basketball – NCAA Tournament and NIT Tournament
- U.S. Court of Appeals Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Western District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Texas
- Houston Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Litigation Section, Member
- International Trademark Association, Member
- Houston Intellectual Property Law Association, Member
- Lawyers of Distinction, 2022
- Named to Super Lawyers Rising Stars, 2011-2019
Fraternities or Sororities
- Phi Beta Kappa